How to change your instance type on an Amazon EC2 instance
I had a t1.micro instance and wanted to upgrade to a t1.small instance. It turns out it was pretty simple: (Hopefully you have an Elastic IP already set up for your current instance, that way, nothing will change in terms of the public DNS).
- Go to your AWS EC2 console.
- Select your instance that you wish to upgrade, then click on the Instance Actions button up top.
- Select STOP.
- Once the instance has stopped, click on Instance Actions again, now select Change Instance Type.
- Select the instance type you wish to upgrade to.
- Once you've selected your type, START back up your instance.
For some reason, the Elastic IP doesn't automatically jump to the "new" upgraded instance, so don't forget to re-attach your Elastic IP: Go to the Elastic IP screen, then de-associate the Elastic IP from your previous instance, then re-attach it to your recently upgraded instance. Everything else should now run exactly the same in terms of connecting SSH and such.